Seniors often want to live alone or at least in their family home to maintain their independence. But as a family member, you are probably worried about their safety. To ensure they spend their twilight years at home safely, you need to take certain measures and make home a safer place for them to live in.
Here are a few of the safety tips that you can consider following.
- Remove all rugs and clutter.
- Install proper lightening.
- Ensure that light switches are easily accessible.
- Make sure the bed is at an appropriate height.
- Replace glass items with unbreakable or least ones that will not shatter.
- Store heavy objects at waist level.
- Install fire extinguishers and smoke detectors.
- Add grab bars wherever necessary.
- Place bath mats on the floor.
- Remove obstacles to prevent falls.
- Install night lights.
- Place a shower chair or transfer chair so that seniors can sit while taking a shower.
- Install a raised toilet seat.
- Install handrails on both the sides of the staircase.
- Ensure that there is proper lighting.
- If the senior has mobility issues, then adaptations may be required, such as escalators or lifts.
- Install deadbolt locks on all exterior house doors.
- Replace any decorative door glass with thick safety glass.
- Install a small hole, also called a peephole, into your exterior front door to check who is at the door.
- Store flammable liquids outside, when possible.
- Install motion sensor lighting around the house.
- Make sure there is a smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector on each level.
Make your senior’s home a safe place to live. Follow the above safety tips and ensure their safety at home. You can also consider hiring a caregiver who can assist them with household activities and personal care. For the best Home Care services in Tacoma, WA, get in touch with us today! We have a team of highly experienced and trained caregivers who can provide your senior loved with the care and support they need.
For more information our services, feel free to call us at 253-655-7253. We would be happy to assist you!